In 2011, the YSC was established to provide a facility and support services for College and University classes coming to Yellowstone for experiential teaching and learning. With the help of five prestigious professors, the Yellowstone Studies Center Consortium (YSCC or Consortium) was formed soon afterward.
Charles Amlaner, D. Phil.
Dr. Doug Coe, Professor of Chemistry
Dean of the College of Letters, Sciences and Professional Studies
Montana Tech, Butte, MT
John L. Conant, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Department of Economics
Director, Center for Economic Education
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
Kim Obbink, Ed.D.
Director Extended University
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
Charles R. Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor of Zoology, Department of Biological Sciences
Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
Consortium membership is open to all accredited institutions of higher education that come to use the YSC facility and services. For $50/year membership dues, the YSC is able to maintain its special partnership with Colleges and Universities and offer the following:
- An association of professors and schools with a vast amount of Park knowledge, contacts and special Yellowstone experiences with whom and which to exchange information
- The opportunity to market the YSC Facility Use and Support Services Program and Consortium member schools to other schools around the country
- YSC reservation preferences over single, daily use community organizations, groups or events
- Access to all YSC fee based services for any number of classes at any available (not already reserved) time during the current year
- Participation in the annual YSCC Conference (usually held in October in West Yellowstone)
- Improvements to the YSC Facility and Support Services Program
Additional YSCC Members
University of Montana Western
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, UT
Indiana University Kokomo
University of Central Missouri
Arizona State University
Indiana University Northwest
Yellowstone Studies Center Consortium (YSCC) Annual Fall Conference
Each year, we bring YSCC member professors together for a 3 day conference in West Yellowstone. The purpose of the Conference is threefold:
- To have member professors (and additional faculty they may bring whom haven’t been to the Park before) view the YSC facility and engage in a few Town and Park experiences- a tour of the Park, a trip to Earthquake Lake and Visitor Center and a visit to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. This allows professors and other faculty to evaluate and envision firsthand the experiential teaching and learning opportunities for themselves and their students
- To have them share curriculums, ideas, stories and experiences with each other
- To have them participate in discussions and contribute ideas, viewpoints and experiences for addressing issues and concerns and making improvements to the YSC Use and Services Program
Get to know the YSC
Click one of the links to download a PowerPoint presentation or PDF of our YSC Facility Use and Support Services for Colleges and Universities. Professors can email them to their administrators and peers.
YSC Use Agreement for Colleges and Universities
Click here to view or download our YSC Use Agreement for College and University classes. It details School User Info and our Services, Fees, Notes and Conduct Policy. Professors will complete the Agreement to reserve dates for YSC use and choose services. Also, it can be emailed to administrators and peers.
Current YSC Use Dates Calendar
Click here to check the current dates for which the YSC has been reserved by schools and educational and community organizations.
Our street address:
239 Firehole Ave. (corner of Hwy 20 and Electric St.)
West Yellowstone, MT 59758
Our postal address:
YSC c/o WYED PO Box 190
West Yellowstone, MT 59758
For more information:
John Greve ----------YSC Manager --------- 406.580.1520 -- email@example.com
Clyde Seely ------- WYED's Vice-President -- 406.640.1700 -- firstname.lastname@example.org